Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default chinese brown gravy???

In article >, sf <.> wrote:

> I found out a long time ago that a small amount of decent Chinese soy
> is what makes it taste like restaurant style fried rice. I don't
> order or even make it anymore and don't remember at the moment how I
> added the soy to make *all* of the rice turn a nice, rich, brown.
> What method do you use?

My fried rice
3 cups of long grained rice cooked until it makes a whole lot more.
4 eggs hard scrambled and chopped to small bits
1 bunch of scallions chopped into small circles (all of it)
1/2 pound or more Ham of your choice, diced into less than a quarter
inch and fried as ham bits till they're nicely colored and quit spitting
water (I buy cheap ham or Canadian Bacon)
Kikkoman Soy sauce to taste, or another soy sauce of your preference
Peanut oil

Fry the previously cooked rice in a five quart pot using a tablespoon at
least of peanut oil (I'd suggest two) while stirring and digging once a
minute. This gives some color to some rice bits. Mostly, the rice will
still be white.
After that happens and the rice is hot, I dump in soy sauce until the
whole hot rice mixture becomes golden brown while stirring. I'd do a
half cup at a time of soy sauce. Taste for saltiness and your
preference. When you hit your preference, dump in the ham, eggs and
onions and take the dish off the fire. Then stir again and cover for
um... ten minutes

It isn't traditional. It isn't Chinese other than the soy. But it's
tasty. Even the potato skin hater loves it.

leo