Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chinese brown gravy???

On Fri 09 May 2008 07:24:16p, sf told us...

> On Fri, 09 May 2008 23:49:19 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>I prefer the "darker" fried rice myself. One local restaurant still

makes
>>it that way.

> I found out a long time ago that a small amount of decent Chinese soy
> is what makes it taste like restaurant style fried rice. I don't
> order or even make it anymore and don't remember at the moment how I
> added the soy to make *all* of the rice turn a nice, rich, brown.
> What method do you use?

On the rare occasions when I make fried rice, I cook the rice in chicken
broth, adding whatever darkener to that cooking process instead of the stir
fry. Depending on what I have on hand, that might be the thicker type of
soy sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, or Better than Bouillon. If you don't add
while cooking the rice, add it immediately to the hot moist rice as soon as
it's finished cooking and toss well with a pair of forks. Do this before
cooling.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)