Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default chinese brown gravy???

"aem" wrote

>> Just picked up a new carbon steel joyce chen wok. (I also have a new
>> cooktop, with some high output burners)
>> Looking at the recipe included for fried rice, it says to use a tsp of
>> chinese brown gravy syrup(and specifically it says not soy sauce)

>The first clue is that there is no such thing as brown gravy syrup in
>Chinese cooking. The second clue is that fried rice doesn't need
>anything of that ilk. So, enjoy your wok but throw the recipes away
>and get a real cookbook. Among others, authors like Grace Young, Ken
>Hom, and Fuchsia Dunlop won't steer you wrong. -aem

Grin, you are right but there are a variety of 'engrish' names for things
like it that are used. Not neccesarily specifically 'chinese'. My first
thought was a beef consomme sort of gravy which would in small amounts do
nicely. Just the TS throws me, not enough unless it's patis to do anything
at all. It wouldnt be patis or it would say that or one of the variational
names like Nam Pla etc.

I still think some sort of beef extract is intended, but don't know what
maggi is (heard of it, never looked it up) which others think might be the
intended product.