Jay

Default My neighbors don't know how to take care of dogs

"Chuck G." <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> >

> 1) Why don't you keep the cat inside? She said they couldn't because her
> husband was alergic to cats.

As a kid, we always had cats. They would show up, underfed and injured, and
they would end up being ours for life. Never once have we successfully had
an indoor cat. Perhaps its a regional thing, but in our neighborhood, there
were heaps of people with outdoor cats (mostly it was people who kept the
cats inside some of the time and let them out other times like we did). It
was a fairly quiet street in a suburban area. Never had a cat run over
either, nor did I hear about anyone else having that happen.

On the other hand, a friend of mine in highschool had an indoor cat. One
day, by accident, his mom left the door open a little too long and the cat
tore out of the house and into the road. Right into an oncoming car. The cat
had NO IDEA how to deal with cars, while my cats always knew how to be
careful on the street. I've heard several accounts of indoor cats getting
loose and getting attacked by raccoons, dogs, other cats etc and having no
knowledge of how to defend themselves.

I don't know that it's necessarily a better idea to keep a cat indoors all
the time.

JMO,
Jay