Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner, Friday 5/2

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> For many reasons we missed having a corned beef dinner on St. Patrick's
> Day, although I had two briskets in the freezer.
>
> Tonight it's corned beef with red potatoes, carrots, cabbage, rutabaga,
> parsnips, and onions. I pretty much followed the Bon Appetit recipe with
> Guinness, but my own varitions on spice blends.

Last night I tried the seafood in parchment packages again. This time I
checked the recipe rather than winging it from what I remembered from the
cooking show where I saw them done. They were much better this time. Five
minutes prep time and 20 minutes in the oven. It is almost sinful that such an
easy meal can be so tasty.

> David will eat the vegetables but not the corned beef. His pholosphy...if
> the meat is pink it must still be raw, in spite of the fact that it
> simmered for ~3 hours! How crazy is that? He'll be having hot dogs. :-)
> They're pink inside. Makes no sense to me. :-)

I like pork and chicken to be cooked. If lamb is not pink it is overcooked,
and beef is IMO overcooked if it turns pink. Corned Beef, however, is pink
when well cooked. That's just the way it is.