Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default Dinner, Friday 5/2

In article 4>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> The corned beef is done, and the nut that I am, I cook each vegetable
> individually so that they're all at exactly the texture I prefer. It
> smells heavenly, and I can't wait to dig in as soon as the last of it is
> done.

I cook potatoes, carrots, barley, etc., separately for soups and stews.
Then I bag them together and refrigerate them. I get the flavor and
thickness just right for what the dish is supposed to be according to my
taste. Then I add what's in the bag until everything is hot. I don't use
this method for a pot roast. Come to think of it, I don't use this
method for anything but beef soups and stews.
Except if I'm adding carrots. I despise the taste that carrots give to
anything unless they are precooked and warmed into the dish. YMMV.

leo