Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Trinkwasser Trinkwasser is offline

Default Chana Dal question

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:04:41 -0400, Jefferson >
wrote:

>Peter G. (Bigbird) wrote:
>

>> "Chana Dal is closely related to chickpeas. It has the same scientific
>> family name as chickpeas, "Cicer arietinum", but while chickpeas belong to
>> the "kabuli" group, chana dal belongs to the "desi" group. "Desi" in Hindi
>> means local or coming from the country (as in "India") -- they were always
>> there."
>>
>> I tend to believe them as I dislike lentil a lot but do like chana dahl.
>> However, if you're not careful, some places will try to tell you that a
>> yellow split pea is chana dahl. Trouble is, split peas go all mushy when
>> they're cooked, dahl doesn't.

>It takes a long time to cook them and my wife refuses to deal with chana
>dal since the pot boils over often.

DON'T let her near a pressure cooker <G>

Mother in law helpfully opened the lid of the pressure cooker to see
if the meal was cooked yet. For years I was finding sesame seeds
embedded in things . . .

I find the boiling of such things improves if you soak them well for
long enough first and change the water, makes them less likely to
crawl out of the pot