Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Nicky Nicky is offline

Default Chana Dal question

On 29 Apr 2008 04:41:02 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Oleg Lego > wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 05:42:43 -0500, krom posted:
>>
>> >ive been very interested in it but have found no local stores selling it
>> >and no online stores im familliar with i.e trust with my info..let me
>> >know how it goes!

>> Chana Dal is chick peas with the seed coat removed.

>At this point, I'm not sure that they're identical.
>
>Chickpeas are legumes used in the cuisines of South Asia, the Middle East,
>and the Mediterranean. They provide high-quality carbohydrates and protein,
>are recommended for diabetics, and are credited by some as the key to
>development of human civilisation through agriculture.
>
>There are two main types:
>
> * Kabuli - European chickpeas, ceci, or garbanzo beans, are large,
> white chickpeas that are much used throughout southern Europe and the
> Middle East, but are also used in Indian cuisine for making dahls.
> These chickpeas are used interchangeably with fava beans for making
> falafel and hoummus (hoummus means chickpea in Arabic). Chickpeas are
> ground finely to make chickpea flour. * Desi - Bengal gram, chana, or
> kadalai (Tamil), are much more common in South Asian cuisine. Grinding
> chana to a flour makes besan or gram flour.

A Dahl is simply a soupy gravy made with a legume, in Indian cuisine.
You can make dahl with lentils, chickpeas, anything that comes to
hand.

The quote Nick's found, pointing you at Desi, is what Mendosa's
talking about when he talks about Chana dahl.

This is how I use it - delicious - feel free to swap out the obvious
no-nos in the veg list, and add in whatever you enjoy. Plain curry
powder is also a fair replacement for the whole spices. You may or may
not need water to mix, depending on how watery your grated veg turn
out to be. The mix should not be dry, and should stick together, but
is thicker than a batter.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...on_12732.shtml

Served with a recipe like this (generally with parsley instead of
beans) and a salad, it's a great family-pleasing meal.
http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/24078/

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine