Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
Oleg Lego[_2_] Oleg Lego[_2_] is offline

Default Chana Dal question

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:27:46 GMT, Julie Bove posted:

>"Oleg Lego" > wrote in message
.. .

> [...]
om...

>>>It's not a chickpea either. I quote, "This bean looks just like yellow
>>>split peas, but is quite different because it doesn't readily boil down to
>>>mush. It's more closely related to garbanzo beans, or chickpeas. The
>>>differences are that chana dal is younger, smaller, split, sweeter, and
>>>has
>>>a much lower glycemic index. But you can substitute chana dal for garbanzo
>>>beans in just about any recipe. "

>> The ones I bought at an Indian market were sold as Chana Dal, and were
>> chick peas.

>I've been looking this up and all I get is conflicting information. One
>website said it was chickpeas with the outer part removed. It even told you
>how to do this. Other sites say it is a lentil.

Yes, there are definitely conflicts. The thing is, though, the ones I
have bought look like chick peas (aka garbanzo beans), and not like
lentils.

--
Larry, T2, Saskatchewan, Canada.
DX 24 Aug 07. D&E