sgdunn

Default Vegan Macaroni and Cheese

Does anyone know of any vegan ephedrine, ephedra, or ma huang
supplements? What is the proper dosage? I know that stuff has been linked to
heart attacks and strokes, but does anyone know of any studies suggesting
that the elevated risk lasts more than a few days? Have any of you on this
newsgroup used such supplements? If so, how did it effect your sleep
patterns? Did it seem to produce a "low point" later in the day or the next
day when you felt really unenergetic?

"Lorraine" > wrote in message
news
> Back when I was still a meat and dairy eater, my family and I used to
always
> have baked macaroni and cheese on holidays. I had so missed eating that
> when I gave up dairy. I don't miss it anymore. I found the best macaroni
> and cheese recipe online. I just made a batch. It's creamy just like the
> dairy version. I'm so happy with it that I thought that I would share

this
> wonderful recipe.
>
> This is the website that I found the recipe on:
> http://www.waste.org/~oxymoron/recipes/
>
> WASTE Mac'n'Cheese
> (which contains absolutely no cheese, natch)
> Ingredients
> 3 cups macaroni
> 1/2 cup margarine
> 1/2 cup flour
> 2 tsp salt
> 2 tsp garlic powder
> a pinch of turmeric
> 2 tbsp good shoyu or tamari soy sauce
> 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
> 1/4 cup oil
> 1 or 2 peppers, chopped (we prefer Annaheims) optional
> Paprika to taste
>
> Directions
> Preheat oven to 350F.
> Start boiling water in a pot for macaroni. Add a pinch of salt, but no

oil.
> Oil is wrong. Also start boiling exactly 3 cups of water in a teapot for
> making the sauce.
>
> Measure out ingredients while waiting for water to boil. Or stand around
> like an idiot and then panic later. Your choice. What? You didn't read

this
> far until after the water was boiling? Fool.
>
> When water is boiling, begin cooking macaroni, stirring occassionally. You
> can turn down the teapot when it starts to boil, cuz you won't need it for

> couple minutes yet.
>
> In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour.

When
> it has reached an even, bubbly consistency, whisk in boiling water from
> teapot. Reduce heat to low. Stir until smooth again and add garlic, salt,
> turmeric, and soy sauce. Then fold in nutritional yeast flakes and oil and
> stir until smooth. If you just added a cup of nutritional yeast powder or,
> worse yet, brewer's yeast, you've probably just made your dinner inedible.
> Eat it anyway as punishment for not following directions. Mix the peppers
> in.
>
> If your timing is good, the macaroni should be finished now. When it's

done,
> drain it in a collander and shake the excess water out quickly. Pour all

the
> macaroni back into the pot, then mix in the sauce. Don't burn yourself on
> the pot or you'll feel stupid. You could use a fancy casserole dish or
> something, but that's just one more dish to clean. Whatever. It's your
> dinner, do it however you want. Sprinkle paprika on top.
>
> Cook for 15 minutes at 350F and then for 5 minutes on "broil". Don't sit
> around. Wash the dishes while you're waiting - that saucepan will be hard

> clean later. Might as well put away all the ingredients you left out too.
> Serve with fresh-ground pepper, maybe some diced tomato, even some

sprouts.