Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
SystemX SystemX is offline

Default Food miles don't feed climate change - meat does

dmaraz wrote:
> I cannot believe how many people are buying into this manmade global warming
> nonsense. The rise and fall of the Earth's temperature is part of its
> natural cycle. Al Gore's movie was full of crap and outright lies.

I've not seen the movie; I tend to to take many views on board and take
a balanced judgment. From what I've read, I don't think man-made global
warming is 'nonsense'.

> I hope people will come to their senses before we waste any more time and
> energy on this issue. Do a little fact checking and research on both sides
> instead of just drinking the liberal kool-aid.

As above, I have done some 'fact checking'. From your response I think
it's you that have the blinkers on. - What is factually inaccurate about
the cited report (evidence required).

> I am, believe it or not, a strict vegan {I really miss those circus peanut
> marshmallows} and I really dislike that all vegans seem to be such liberals.
> If you are worried about animal suffering and peace on the planet, then work
> to end abortion and human suffering. I refuse to eat animals or be the
> cause of animal suffering, but aren't people more important?

I'm not a vegan or liberal. - I avoid meat and dairy for several reasons.

I agree that to reduce animal suffering you have to start with an aim to
reduce human suffering. (Reminded me of the following clip.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaL8I8_iZz8

I would guess that you do cause animal and human suffering; most of us
do, some of us acknowledge that and take steps to reduce it.

What do you think causes more (human and animal) harm; eating a
marshmallow or for example, importing vegan food / goods from China?

> Reduce, reuse, recycle, don't pollute and the planet will be fine. Don't
> drive everybody crazy with "carbon" or we just might get taxed everytime we
> fart or exhale.

Won't scientific reports regarding the impact of meat versus local
produce help people make more informed choices?

> Be more conservative and eat more tofu.

Depends what you mean by conservative. I don't like tofu.