Default The Least Harm Principle

On 1 Jan 2004 10:59:49 -0800, (Purple) wrote:

wrote in message >. ..
>> On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 02:33:12 -0500, "Allyb" > wrote:
>>
>> >Karla, the flaw I see in your reasoning is that to satisfy the demand for
>> >meat and dairy in this country, it's not possible to raise enough animals on
>> >grass.

>> That's not what is being discussed, which I feel sure you are aware of.
>> What is being discussed is why tofu involves more animal deaths than
>> grass raised beef does, and why rice milk involves more animal deaths
>> than grass raised cow milk does. (Rice milk also involves more deaths
>> than soy milk, which involves more deaths than grass raised cow milk...
>> are you unable to understand why?)
>> But since you brought it up, we have no reason to believe that this
>> country could be fed if no farm animals were raised at all, which is what
>> "ARAs" want. Animal products go into fertilizers and many other things
>> that humans--including veg*ns--make much use of:

>[snip extensive list of products]
>
>There are vegan alternatives for many, perhaps all of the items you list.

Here they are again:
Tires, Surgical sutures, Matches, Soaps, Photographic film,
Cosmetics, Shaving cream, Paints, Candles, Crayon/Chalk,
Toothpaste, Deodorants, Mouthwash, Paper, Upholstery,
Floor waxes, Glass, Water Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer,
Antifreeze

http://www.aif.org/lvstock.htm
Ceramics, Insecticides, Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic,
Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen, Heparin, Insulin,
Pancreatin, Thrombin, Vasopressin, Vitamin B-12, Asphalt,
auto and jet lubricants, outboard engine oil, high-performance
greases, brake fluid

http://www.teachfree.com/student/wow_that_cow.htm
contact-lens care products, glues for paper and cardboard
cartons, bookbinding glue, clarification of wines, Hemostats,
sunscreens and sunblocks, dental floss, hairspray, inks, PVC

http://www.discover.com/aug_01/featcow.html
Explosives, Solvents, Industrial Oils, Industrial Lubricants,
Stearic Acid, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides, Syringes,
Gelatin Capsules, Bandage Strips, Combs and Toothbrushes,
Emery Boards and Cloth, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood and Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Adhesive Tape, Abrasives, Bone Charcoal for High
Grade Steel, Steel Ball Bearings

http://www.sheepusa.org/environment/products.shtml
Please tell us which of the items used in the production of food,
that you can find vegan alternatives for.