MEow

Default Sleazy PETA, gratuitously provocative and tasteless as ever

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of SBC
http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>"MEow" > wrote in message
><snip>
>> I'm not exactly rich, myself, either. I don't have money for much more
>> than rent, bills and food. I just try to consume as ethically as I
>> can, since I am a consumer anyway. However, I manage to avoid
>> supporting H&M by buying my clothes second hand. That's both ethical
>> and economical.

>Most of my clothes are from Wal Mart. *L*

Ah, but sometime you do something which is ehical/evironmentally
friendly without thinking about it. I spend New Years Eve with some
friends, at someone's home, and they tend to not bother spending money
on fireworks, but prefer to take the elevator to the top floor of the
building, and watch the show from there while toasting. Very nice
view. We didn't do it for environmental reasons, but thinking about it
afterwards, it was environmentally sound. However, I can't look down
on the people who did buy fireworks, as it was their fireworks we
admired, IYSWIM ;0)

Happy New Year, BTW!

>> Next month I plan to go looking for a new job, both because I've had
>> enough of my current job, but also because I want a full time job as
>> I'm tried of having to count the days till next pay-day.

>I'm looking for a job right now too. I graduated from community college
>almost two years ago (getting a two year Associate's degree), I want to go
>on to pursue a Biology degree, but I don't have the money right now. I've
>been searching for a job since then and haven't been able to find one! The
>economy is so bad! I'm intensifying my search though... I had a nightmare
>the other night about the future.. still at home with no money, and it
>terrified me.

Good luck. I do hope you'll find a solution.
The thought of staying in my current job for much longer is what
terrifies me.

><snip>
>> True, and you've got to eat *something*, but it's hard to remember to
>> check if the coffee you're buying is fair trade (especially if the
>> money's tight), and that sort of things. I sometimes think that I
>> could, and should, do better in that area. But, how much difference
>> does my choice, as one consumer, do? It's too easy to feel powerless
>> and give up. Well, I'll keep trying.

>I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with buying coffee that
>isn't fair trade, though it's much better to do so.

I feel bad when I slip, because I think that if I care, I ought to.

>> But I confess: I'm Pavlov's dog; whenever I hear Coca-Cola's
>> commercial tune I get thirsty.

>I'm addicted to caffeine. If I don't drink soda every day I crave it really
>badly. It got to a point several months ago where I was drinking no water at
>all, just sodas. I realized that wasn't good for me, so I'm drinking a lot
>more water now.

For caffeine I drink coffee. It's the sugar which it's sometimes hard
to cut down on.

>> However, I've found out that the trick
>> is to just quench my thirst with something else - both more ethical
>> and more economical: there's plenty of water in my tap. ;0) Cutting
>> down on the commercial soft drinks I drink has also caused my clothes
>> to sit a bit looser, but it's a tough habit to break.

>I'm almost always drink diet sodas now, and it has caused me to lose some
>weight, though I know the sweetener being used in it isn't really healthy
>either.

I can't stand diet sodas, to be honest. So, given the choice between
diet soda and water, I take water. Good for you if you like it, and it
has helped you lose weight.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856