Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Thai Beef Salad

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > Last night the vegetarians and cilantro-haters in my family were all
> > away, so I got to make something just for me. I don't participate
> > much in this newsgroup, but I enjoyed this so much that I thought I
> > should share it with you.
> >
> > Thai Beef Salad (Serves 4)

> It sounds wonderful to me. I love cilantro and beef. Can you tell me
> what is actually in "nam pla" ? Is is made from fish or just called
> that for whatever reason?

It's just rotten fish juice. Some people (like me) don't like it very
well. A little bit adds a lot of depth of flavor, but very much and it
makes it taste very fishy to me (and I eat fish).

> I can't do fish, but would hate to miss out
> on a necessary flavor? If it does contain fish, is there something
> similar I could substitute?

There is no substitute, but it takes very little to add flavor, and
there are no solids, if that might be what bothers you.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA