Marvin

Default The Least Harm Principle

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:08:17 GMT, "Marvin"

> wrote:
>
> >Where I live, grass feeding requires tons of hay during

winter
> >months at least. There may be places where cattle can

survive
> >by grazing the range year around, but I'm not familiar with
> >them. I've never done a count, but I've mowed enough hay

> >know that ground nesting birds, rabbits, and reptiles are
> >sometimes killed in the process.

> If you compare what it takes to produce hay and what it
> takes to produce soy beans, which do you think would
> involve the deaths of more animals? How about if you
> compare what it takes to produce hay and what it takes
> to produce rice?

I tried to check your links to see whether there was
information about ranking the various crops' potential for
animal deaths, but none of them would work. The net may just
be overloaded right now. My guess is that these things would
differ according to where they are more than according to
which crop is being grown, but I'd find it of minor interest
to learn about rankings and the methods used to establish them
if any such thing exists.
--
Marvin
To reply, burn off fog.