MEow

Default The Least Harm Principle

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Russ Thompson of
Newsfeeds.com http://www.newsfeeds.com 100,000+ UNCENSORED Newsgroups.
said:

>> Karla, the flaw I see in your reasoning is that to satisfy the demand for
>> meat and dairy in this country, it's not possible to raise enough animals

>on
>> grass.

>*** Well you are right that with the current economic and regulatory
>situation in the USA it would not be possible. If you look at it from an
>acres needed point of view it could be done no problem. We can raise a grass
>finished steer on slightly less than 3 acres. That includes the 1/3 acre of
>hay that will have to be harvested for the steer for winter feeding. A grain
>finished steer would require 4 acres. Basicly the saem 3 grazing acres plus
>another acre of grain. However with current USDA rugulations and subsidies
>it can't happen.

Ah! At last someone whom I might get some proper answers from!
(I assume that you're posting from misc.rural, so you should see this
despite my removal of all other groups than that, and afv, where I
post from).

How about on a global basis? Do you think it would be sustainably
possible, on a global basis, to feed all with meat from grass fed
animals, and game meat (Do keep in mind that we'll need some
vegetables too)?

I'd like to hear what you, as a farmer, think of this. I don't expect
you to be an expert on farming all over the world, but I'd be
interested in hearing your perspective on this.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856