Marvin

Default The Least Harm Principle

"Russ Thompson" > wrote in message
> > Karla, the flaw I see in your reasoning is that to satisfy

the demand for
> > meat and dairy in this country, it's not possible to raise

enough animals
> on
> > grass.

> *** Well you are right that with the current economic and

regulatory
> situation in the USA it would not be possible. If you look

at it from an
> acres needed point of view it could be done no problem. We

can raise a grass
> finished steer on slightly less than 3 acres. That includes

the 1/3 acre of
> hay that will have to be harvested for the steer for winter

feeding. A grain
> finished steer would require 4 acres. Basicly the saem 3

grazing acres plus
> another acre of grain. However with current USDA rugulations

and subsidies
> it can't happen.
>
> Kala Thompson
> Farmer
> Richland Center, Wi USA

Would it really take an acre's worth of grain to "finish"?
I've never raised cattle, but I'm aware they can put away
quite a lot of feed. Still, depending on the acre, that could
be well over a hundred bushels of corn. That'd make enough
hominy and cornbread to last me several days!
--
Marvin
To reply, burn off fog.