Frank

Default Flavors of pumpkins

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Frank wrote:
> >
> > We were at the local pumpkin patch and we decided to buy a couple to

cook a
> > few recipes with.
> >
> > The kids decided to buy a white colored pumpkin and one that is gray (or
> > gray with a blue/green tinge).
> >
> > Are these pumpkins OK to eat? Is their flavor different from a run of

the
> > mill orange pumpkin?
> >
> > We have never seen the gray variety before.
> >
> > Are these destined to become jack-o-lanterns, or Saturday's dinner and
> > dessert?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Frank

> I can't tell you abnout the white one, but the
> grey one sounds like a Blue Hubbard squash--yum!
> Squash vary mostly in their water and sugar
> content. BH is a good, drier one. I vote for
> dinner and dessert.
>
> gloria p

The gray one is definitely not a Blue Hubbard. Mine is a typical pumpkin
shape and the skin is nice and smooth and shiny. The pictures of Blue Hub
that I saw on the internet today are more typical elongated squash shapes.
Also those Blue Hub seem to grow rather large in the 20# range and both my
white one and gray one are both about 6 pounds each.

I can email pictures if anyone is really interested.

But from the other responses here, I think we will cook them both and see
what happens. One will become a soup and we'll use its hollowed out shell
as the serving dish and the other we'll find something creative to do with
that one as well. Some kind of dinner-in-a-pumpkin dish, I think.