Jonathan Ball

Default The Least Harm Principle

Allyb wrote:

> Karla, the flaw I see in your reasoning is that to satisfy the demand for
> meat and dairy in this country, it's not possible to raise enough animals on
> grass.

That is NOT a flaw. We aren't talking about satisfying
the entire demand for meat and dairy; we're talking
about the action(s) YOU undertake for some claimed
ethical reason.

You believe or believed that by not consuming any
animal products, you were not causing *any* animal
suffering. That belief is false. Even when you
believed it true, however, it still was obvious that
animal suffering was going on, caused by others. You
didn't expect your dietary choice to eliminate *all*
animal suffering.

Now, you need to confront the fact that it is possible,
even likely, that YOU, personally, could follow a diet
containing animal products that causes LESS animal
suffering than the strictly vegetarian diet you are
following right now. It doesn't matter if everyone can
do it or not; right now, today, YOU CAN DO IT.