Marvin

Default The Least Harm Principle

"Rubystars" > wrote in message

> "Allyb" > wrote in message
> > How does a serving of tofu kill animals? Please include

your source, I'm
> > curious.
> >
> > Allyb

> There's a group of people in here who focus on collateral

damage of farming,
> and say that's just as bad (or worse) for animals as meat

eating.

> They're referring to the mice and birds and other animals in

the crop fields
> that are harmed by chemicals and harvesting machines, etc.
>
> I'm not sure how they calculate the numbers, exactly, but

they claim that a
> serving of tofu could involve more animal deaths (from CDs)

than one serving
> of beef that came from one cow.
>
> -Rubystars

Where I live, grass feeding requires tons of hay during winter
months at least. There may be places where cattle can survive
by grazing the range year around, but I'm not familiar with
them. I've never done a count, but I've mowed enough hay to
know that ground nesting birds, rabbits, and reptiles are
sometimes killed in the process. (The same is true for mowing
the yard, by the way. Perhaps someone should question the
morality of that.) It seems to me that people have to accept
the fact that our lives depend on the deaths of at least some
other living things no matter what our diets consist of.
Religions have made food a moral issue for thousands of years,
of course, but attempts to do so on logical grounds don't hold
up very well when examined closely.

Marvin Doolin