§odapop

Default Sleazy PETA, gratuitously provocative and tasteless as ever

"Rubystars" > wrote in
:

> "MEow" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>> I'm not exactly rich, myself, either. I don't have money for much
>> more than rent, bills and food. I just try to consume as ethically as
>> I can, since I am a consumer anyway. However, I manage to avoid
>> supporting H&M by buying my clothes second hand. That's both ethical
>> and economical.

> Most of my clothes are from Wal Mart. *L*
>
>> Next month I plan to go looking for a new job, both because I've had
>> enough of my current job, but also because I want a full time job as
>> I'm tried of having to count the days till next pay-day.

> I'm looking for a job right now too. I graduated from community
> college almost two years ago (getting a two year Associate's degree),
> I want to go on to pursue a Biology degree, but I don't have the money
> right now. I've been searching for a job since then and haven't been
> able to find one! The economy is so bad! I'm intensifying my search
> though... I had a nightmare the other night about the future.. still
> at home with no money, and it terrified me.
>
> <snip>
>> True, and you've got to eat *something*, but it's hard to remember to
>> check if the coffee you're buying is fair trade (especially if the
>> money's tight), and that sort of things. I sometimes think that I
>> could, and should, do better in that area. But, how much difference
>> does my choice, as one consumer, do? It's too easy to feel powerless
>> and give up. Well, I'll keep trying.

> I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with buying coffee
> that isn't fair trade, though it's much better to do so.
>
>> But I confess: I'm Pavlov's dog; whenever I hear Coca-Cola's
>> commercial tune I get thirsty.

> I'm addicted to caffeine. If I don't drink soda every day I crave it
> really badly. It got to a point several months ago where I was
> drinking no water at all, just sodas. I realized that wasn't good for
> me, so I'm drinking a lot more water now.
>
>> However, I've found out that the trick
>> is to just quench my thirst with something else - both more ethical
>> and more economical: there's plenty of water in my tap. ;0) Cutting
>> down on the commercial soft drinks I drink has also caused my clothes
>> to sit a bit looser, but it's a tough habit to break.

> I'm almost always drink diet sodas now, and it has caused me to lose
> some weight, though I know the sweetener being used in it isn't really
> healthy either.
>
> -Rubystars

I just wanted to say that in the past month or so of reading this and a few
other news groups, (I am a new vegan) I am continuallty impressed with your
calling and cussing of some, you always keep your head and have intelligent
things to say.
Sorry about the nightmare, let it motivate you and not frighten you, if
that helps.
anyway peace
sodapop