Posted to rec.food.cooking
Silvar Beitel Silvar Beitel is offline

Default Thai Beef Salad

On Apr 18, 1:59 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > Last night the vegetarians and cilantro-haters in my family were all
> > away, so I got to make something just for me. I don't participate
> > much in this newsgroup, but I enjoyed this so much that I thought I
> > should share it with you.

> > Thai Beef Salad (Serves 4)

> It sounds wonderful to me. I love cilantro and beef. Can you tell me
> what is actually in "nam pla" ? Is is made from fish or just called
> that for whatever reason? I can't do fish, but would hate to miss out
> on a necessary flavor? If it does contain fish, is there something
> similar I could substitute?

Sorry, it's definitely made from fish. This is a pretty neat
explanation:
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/fea...ishsauce1.html

As far as substitutions are concerned, (and I realize I'm venturing
onto dangerous ground with the purists here), you might consider
Worcestershire sauce (although that also contains a bit of fish
extracts), or perhaps just some salty beef bouillon. Whatever you can
think of that would substitute for fermented anchovies should work :-)

--
Silvar Beitel