Posted to rec.food.cooking
Becca[_2_] Becca[_2_] is offline

Default low carb Myra's Coconut-Almond Macaroons

hahabogus wrote:

> I think somebody was look for this
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Myra's Coconut-Almond Macaroons
>
> Recipe By :Myra Shinkman
> Categories : Desserts

> 4 egg whites
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 cup SplendaŽ granular
> 1/2 cup finely ground, blanched almonds
> 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
>
> Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
>
> In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites, salt and vanilla until frothy,
> then,
> as you keep whipping, slowly pour in the Splenda. Whip until stiff peaks
> form - but not dried out. Fold in the almonds and coconut.
>
> Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop the macaroon batter by
> rounded tablespoons about 1/2-1 inch apart on the parchment (macaroons
> don't rise or spread, so you can put them close together). Bake in the
> preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
>
> Turn off the oven heat, open the door slightly, and let the macaroons sit
> in the oven until cool - this keeps the moisture content down.
>
> Store in an airtight container.
>
> Makes about 2 dozen macaroons, about 1.67 carbs each. If you make this
> recipe with Splenda tablets instead of bulk, the carb count drops down to
> about .8 carb each.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories
> from fat); 1g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
> Cholesterol; 31mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat.
>

> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

Thanks for the recipe (and thanks to Victor who posted the recipe in
another thread). I made the macaroons this afternoon. They are still
sitting in the oven, waiting to cool, but I had to try one. Okay, so
maybe I tried three.

The egg whites came close to being dried out, so I will be more careful
next time. I bought a small bag of blanched almonds from Kroger, so I
finely ground them in the food processor, and it was just over 1/2 cup,
so I used all of it. The unsweetened coconut tasted a little dry in
texture, but the macaroons came out fine.

I used the 4 egg yolks to make sugar free lemon curd.

Lemon Curd

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and some zest
1 tablespoon Splenda (or 12 drops liquid)
1 ounce melted butter

Mix all of the ingredients. Microwave and stir till thickened. Will
thicken more as it cools.

Becca