Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Cindy Hamilton Cindy Hamilton is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Apr 16, 7:27*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Apr 15, 8:13 pm, aspasia wrote:
> > > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:51:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > I hope you don't mind if I suggest you do your own research. *I've
> > > seen a great deal on-line and in hard media over the years attesting
> > > to the damage done to people by fumes from these pans. *But that
> > > material may not rise to the scientific level of assurance you
> > > require.

> > Actually, the only things I've seen that seemed remotely credible was:

> > 1. *When heated to excess, some types of nonstick coatings can release
> > * * *fumes that are toxic to birds.

> > 2. *If you don't use the nonstick pan like an idiot, you're in no
> > danger.

> > I'm really looking for a citation in the New England Journal of
> > Medicine,
> > the Lancet, or peer-reviewed toxicology journals. *Perhaps I'll see
> > what I can
> > find. *It seems to me that the burden of proof is on the person making
> > the
> > claims, however.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> I don't know if this is pertinent or not, but five years ago a
> co-worker, who works as a scientist in environmental engineering and
> science, shared with me an article from USA Today written by Elizabeth
> Weise, "Posted 4/23/2003 10:08 PM - Updated 4/24/2003 1:24 AM". *The
> title of the article is, "Out of the frying pan, into a fire." *I won't
> post/share the entire article here because that would be an infringement
> of copyright. *But for reference, here are a couple of paragraphs quoted
> from the article that may help, or perhaps not:
>
> * * *"Last week the Environmental Protection Agency announced concerns
> about a widely used chemical called perfluorinated acid. Tests in rats
> have shown reduced fetal weight of pups, delays in maturation and kidney
> problems - and 92% of Americans tested had trace amounts of it in their
> blood. That's because so-called PFOA or its byproducts are used in the
> manufacturing process for Teflon and Gore-Tex and can be released as the
> original Scotchguard and Stainmaster break down. PFOA also has other
> industrial uses."

PFOA is used in Teflon manufacture. This doesn't seem to say anything
about Teflon use.

> * * *"This month a paper in the journal Current Biology reported that a
> commonly used plastic ingredient called bisphenol A caused abnormal
> pregnancies in mice and might cause reproductive problems in people.
> Last year a Swedish study found that a flame retardant used in TV sets,
> computer circuit boards and casings, foams and fabric called
> polybrominated diphenyl ether, or PBDE, is rapidly accumulating in human
> breast milk. The chemical is thought to cause thyroid cancer and
> possibly neurodevelopmental problems in test animals."

Also nothing to do with using Teflon-coated pans.

> Hope this helps you to find appropriate citations for particular studies
> and papers if you're so inclinded.
>
> Sky, who is no scientist and has no "environmental engineering and
> science" background <-----disclaimer!

I'll continue to use my Teflon pans for the tasks for which they're
suited,
my stainless-steel pans for their tasks, and my cast iron when it's
suitable.

Cindy Hamilton