Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Joseph Joseph is offline

Default Essence

"Tutall" > wrote in message
On Apr 13, 3:07 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
> > I averaged about 225 to 240 degrees F and they hit the
> > 190 degree mark right at 12 hours.

Seriously, you can increase those temps and drastically
reduce your
cooking times with no quality compromise.

==> I may have played with it too much, extending the time
a little.

I've got a a big ole Klose, and was burning oak logs and let
temps get
a bit out of hand, at the upper rack where the butts were
the temps
had to have been 350F and a couple of the smaller 6lb pieces
were done
in under 5 hours. No difference in flavor though, or
texture.
Now I don't generally aim that high, I do try to cook em at
250-300,
where 6-8 hours seems common. Much nicer than 10-12 hour
cooks.

Ribs don't seem to take to the higher temps in my
experience, others
report differently, but butts, no problem, give it to em.

Big Jim who used to post here more often, ran his own joint
and sold
and made Q rigs swore by higher temps. More than a few
others as well.

==> Doing ribs this week, I'll crank her up a bit on the
next one.

And as for rubs and whatnot? It seems to me that the end
product
tastes the same regardless of what I put on the damn thing.
So I'm
more interested in varying how I can use the end product.

==> It seemed that way to me. The CYM, S & P tasted about
the same as the essence.

Sandwich (duh)
Fritata
Burrito/Taco

How do you guys use your pulled pork?

==> First, Straight Up in a bowl w/sauce (Saturday Dinner)
Second, Platted up w/ BBQ beans and coleslaw (Sunday
Lunch)
Third, Grilled in tortilla w/ sour cream, salsa &
cheddar (Sunday Dinner)
Fourth, Toasted Sandwich w/sauce and mayo (Monday
Lunch)
Fifth, Added to Chile Colorado over eggs (tonight)

==> Tomorrow, Still thinking, I might have two take more
out of the freezer. This is some pretty versatile stuff...

Joseph

--

http://www.geocities.com/jrpitzner/BBQ

Brinkman Charcoal Smoker