Rat & Swan

Default Free range Egg Question

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:23:50 +0000 (UTC), "Plug" > wrote:

>>I know this is a vegan site, but some of you have veggie friends, so might
>>be able to help me with my query. I am tackling a supplier of battery eggs
>>in this country (UK) who puts "suitable for vegetarians" on the boxes. I
>>believe this is misleading and am speaking with Trading Standards. The
>>company respond by claiming most veggies "don't care" whether eggs or free
>>range or not.

<snip>

>>I disagree; in my opinion, veggies care very much, which is
>>why free range eggs are more readily available nowadays - due to consumer
>>pressure.

<snip>

I certainly think any ethical vegetarian would care about the way the
hens are treated. I don't see eggs themselves as sentient, and
if they are unfertilized the issue wouldn't even arise, so I don't
see why unfertilized eggs would be an ethical issue in themselves.
But certainly, the welfare of the hens would be.

Rat