Sam D.

Default Thanksgiving Menu

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >, TonyP
> > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:26:53 -0500, Julianne wrote:
> >
> > > Fried turkey does not lend well to gravy.

> > Oh man, no gravy...

> That's what I don't like about smoked or deep fried turkeys. My ILs
> made smoked turkeys, which taste incredible, and I've been served fried
> turkeys which were juicy and tasty, but I love gravy.

One of the best tips I've been given for preparing a turkey dinner was on
making the gravy ahead of time. And you can do this with a smoked, deep
fried or traditional roast turkey. Purchase one or more packages of turkey
wings, brown them in the oven, briefly saute a coarsely chopped onion, a
carrot and a celery stalk, then simmer the browned wings with a pinch or 2
of thyme, a bay leaf and the sauteed vegetables in a pot for several hours
with, strain the liquid and then use it to make your gravy ahead a day or so
before the meal. If you oven roast your turkey, de-fatted pan drippings can
be added to your gravy if you like. Credit for this tip goes to Melinda Lee
on KFI radio. http://www.melindalee.com