Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
AxisOfBeagles[_2_] AxisOfBeagles[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning a wooden ratchett basket press

I tend to agree with Wayne - less is more in this case.

After a thorough water rinse (with plenty of pressure), I also rinse
the basket with a 5% solution of KMS, which takes off most of the red
wine staining.

Then let completely dry in the sun - do not store it moist.

What I would never do is use any hypochlorite for fear of TCA
contamination in the wood. I also learned the hard way not to use soda
ash as a cleaning compound - it makes the wood turn grey - probably not
a problem, but unattractive.