Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain Mike Romain is offline

Default A Good Sourdough Day - Take 6

My market liked my interpretation of Dick Adam's Billowy Sourdough loaf
recipe so well they asked for the same again so I did.

I hand mixed it up and again stayed a little wetter than Dick calls for
with his machine arm so expected a little spreading like last time. I
must have a good eye/feel for the dough mix, because I can usually
duplicate what I did last time with success, or I am just plain lucky
because the bread turned out pretty much exact to the last batch for
texture, spread and rise.

I got around this by using a pie pan, a Pyrex glass bowl and a coffee
can to contain the bases and bottom sides so I would get 'taller'
loaves. It worked well. Even the one in the pie pan held it's shape as
it went up.

No 'fancy top pancakes' in this batch. LOL!

The coffee can got a dough ball 1/4 of it's depth and rose almost to a
1/4 above the can! That is a serious boost and a measurable 5 volume
expansion because it is a full cylinder.

My mom used to make the coffee can shape for burgers and Sloppy Joe
sandwiches and we are having Sloppy Joes so I went for it.

The other loaves did the same rise volume, very nicely too.

I also put up 3 French Stick shapes that worked very well.

This bread is very hard to cut it is so soft, even today, super soft. I
find bread from this recipe seems to stay 'first day soft and fresh' for
a lot longer than one day, at least 3 on the last batch, so that 'day
old' bread saying doesn't come into play. I doubt this batch will last
more than 3 days either, but will pay attention.

I went for a 2 hour set, then a few folds and a 6 hour final rise and
still got oven bounce again.

I put 7 new photos up he http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Mike