Posted to alt.food.wine
Bill Loftin[_2_] Bill Loftin[_2_] is offline

Default Can Sparkling Wine From The U.S. Be Called Champagne?

Bi!! wrote:

> But I think you're missing my point
> which is that most of our labeling practices are really about
> marketing and have little do do with information about the contents.
> The next time you're in your local wineshop just cruise the aisles and
> try to determine where a domestic wine is from just by looking at the
> front label. I think you'll be surprised how many wines you must pick-
> up and scrutinize to find out who made it, what's really in it, and
> where the juice is really from.

It is strange that someone brought up the name of Alexis Lichine
recently. His first real contribution to the wine world was changing
the label on Bordeaux whites to Sauvignon Blanc and watched the sales
go up 700%. Labels are about marketing for sure.
I am currently trying to get a handle on California's newest AVA,
Rockpile. I have so far tasted 9 wines from this new area that was
first planted in 1997 and became an AVA in 2002. The wines are
remarkably similar seemingly just from the soil and climate. I am
working on the next 9 wines over the next couple of weeks.
If you try three of these wines you will have a good idea what
this AVA is all about.
Some that are available: Carol Shelton (2 Zins and a Petite Syrah),
Cline, Rosenblum, Seghesio, Mauritson (6 or 7), JR Cellars.