Jonathan Ball

Default Free range Egg Question

C. James Strutz wrote:
> "Plug" > wrote in message
>
>>I know this is a vegan site, but some of you have veggie friends, so might
>>be able to help me with my query. I am tackling a supplier of battery

> eggs
>
>>in this country (UK) who puts "suitable for vegetarians" on the boxes. I
>>believe this is misleading and am speaking with Trading Standards. The
>>company respond by claiming most veggies "don't care" whether eggs or free
>>range or not. I disagree; in my opinion, veggies care very much, which is
>>why free range eggs are more readily available nowadays - due to consumer
>>pressure. However, maybe I'm revolving in my own little bubble on this.

>>straw poll opinion would be useful - I have a handful of veggie friends I
>>can ask and a few off here would be useful. TIA. Deb

> I prefer range-free eggs but I'm not absolutely discriminating. I hardly
> ever eat eggs anyway.
>
> Technically speaking, eggs are "suitable for vegetarians" whether they are
> range free or not.

No, that's absolutely false.

1. Eggs are not vegetable matter; they are 100%
animal, including a "healthy" (huh) dose of
cholesterol. NO vegetable matter contains
cholesterol.

2. If your vegetarianism is politically motivated, i.e.
based on notions of "animal rights", then eggs
are ABSOLUTELY forbidden. On that view, they are
a product "stolen" from animals that "aras"/"vegans"
believe should not exist in the first place.

Eggs are not vegetarian - full stop.