usual suspect

Default Free range Egg Question

Plug wrote:
> I know this is a vegan site, but some of you have veggie friends, so might
> be able to help me with my query. I am tackling a supplier of battery eggs
> in this country (UK) who puts "suitable for vegetarians" on the boxes. I
> believe this is misleading and am speaking with Trading Standards. The
> company respond by claiming most veggies "don't care" whether eggs or free
> range or not. I disagree; in my opinion, veggies care very much, which is
> why free range eggs are more readily available nowadays - due to consumer
> pressure. However, maybe I'm revolving in my own little bubble on this. A
> straw poll opinion would be useful - I have a handful of veggie friends I
> can ask and a few off here would be useful. TIA. Deb

I think you're confusing two separate issues: vegetarianism and AR. One
can be vegetarian without being pro-animal rights. That would include
me, though I don't eat eggs, as well as MANY others who are vegetarian
solely for personal health purposes. Hence, the company is right that
there *are* vegetarians who don't care about specific agricultural
practices that keep ARs in knotted knickers. I further think the
company's right since "vegans" comprise a minority of vegetarians and AR
is a *very* marginal pseudo-philosophy in the political spectrum (even
in the UK).