C. James Strutz

Default Free range Egg Question

"Plug" > wrote in message
> I know this is a vegan site, but some of you have veggie friends, so might
> be able to help me with my query. I am tackling a supplier of battery

eggs
> in this country (UK) who puts "suitable for vegetarians" on the boxes. I
> believe this is misleading and am speaking with Trading Standards. The
> company respond by claiming most veggies "don't care" whether eggs or free
> range or not. I disagree; in my opinion, veggies care very much, which is
> why free range eggs are more readily available nowadays - due to consumer
> pressure. However, maybe I'm revolving in my own little bubble on this.

> straw poll opinion would be useful - I have a handful of veggie friends I
> can ask and a few off here would be useful. TIA. Deb

I prefer range-free eggs but I'm not absolutely discriminating. I hardly
ever eat eggs anyway.

Technically speaking, eggs are "suitable for vegetarians" whether they are
range free or not. There's nothing deceptive or misleading about advertising
that on the carton, though it does seem unnecessary to do so.