El stinky

Default Japanese trip report or... I'M STARVING!

Jennifer Huebl wrote:
> I was just in Japan for two weeks and wanted to give a report about my
> food experiences in case anyone here ever needs it. Keep in mind that
> these are my personal experiences so if I missed something that was
> staring me right in the face it's only because I had no way of
> knowing!

(snip)

I apologize for your trip being a culinary disaster. I've been to Japan
twice and had no problem at all finding vegan food.

Before i had gone i had heard all these horror stories about 50 dollar
glasses of whisky and 25 dollar beers in bars. I had heard it costs as much
as 5 dollars a soda and it goes on and on from there.

when i went there I asked immediately about food. i was informed that its
very hard to be vegetarian or vegan becuase everything, including some white
rice had some sort of fish broth attached to it.

so i just looked around and there it was. Potato Cakes, Vege Sushi in the
7-11's and Lawson. vegan noodle cups with Curry, Edamame all can be had
quite quickly and cheaply (50-300y) A trip to the market found many things i
was able to eat. in tokyo i stick to mostly the side streets off of ameyoko

I went there and was guided around by local punks, not tourists. they were
able to find all the cheap bars(20 bucks ea. for an entire night of food,
Sho-Chu, Sake and Beer) cheap record shops(punk and independent record shops
are about the price of chain stores in the states) and cheap places to eat.
I was paying about 110-130Y for cans of beer and Super Chu-hi at alleyway
markets and beer machines

even on the highway j-station a bowl of soba with soy broth went for 175y,
of course they get you for the cost of travellign the highway... and bean
curd a plenty in almost any form and flavor you can think of.

at one point by request, on the 2nd trip we did venture to the tokyo tourist
part(shibuya) where i saw all the evil, overpriced things that i had heard
about. we saw nothing but consumeritis-infected westerners, no beer machines
and souvenier shops carrying mostly chinese and korean made goods.

yes in smaller towns it was more difficult to find anything until we got to
the nightly izakawa but that was quite alright with me. The smaller market
areas are always your best bet for quick energy.

--
Home Of The Tiltwheel