Posted to alt.food.diabetic
percy percy is offline

Default diabetus and pumps

Hans Klompe wrote:
> Robert Miles schrieb:
>>> I am looking for as much info as possible on cheap easy to use insulin
>>> pumps. Please contact me

>> I'm not sure there are any cheap ones. You can find more diabetics to
>> ask in newsgroup alt.support.diabetes, though.

> Reliability is more important than price.
> With a pump you always have only a very small amount of insulin at a
> time in your body. So, if the pump fails for any reason, you'll end up
> in trouble quite soon.

Have you ever used a pump?

> Using a pen, however, injects you a bigger amount that will last longer.

The above statement is utter foolishness.

I can eat half a large pizza if I so desire and never exceed 120 -
tested out to 12 hours - can you? Oh, let me add that that's with *one*
extended bolus - not an injection every 3 or 4 hours like you'd do with
a rapid insulin by injection.

I can work 8 hours at my manual labor job then hit the golf course and
walk 18 holes and keep my bgs between 80 - 110 and eat only if I want to
- can you?

I can treat mild hypoglycemia without eating - can you?

> So, while looking for a pump, look for reliability and promptness of
> service first. Then into features and functions. And at the end look at
> the price.

If the pump wasn't reliable it wouldn't be on the market. All pump
sellers have excellent service. It's part of what you pay for.

> Your health and your life is at stake. Not your money.

I would suggest you learn about pumps before assuming CSII isn't safe.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

If someone wanted to take my pump they'd have to pry it from my cold,
dead hands.

Vicki
T1
Animas IR1200