Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave T. Dave T. is offline

Default When did you start?

Mark Filice wrote:
> In article >, Dave T. says...
>> As a youngster in the USMC I continued the outdoor cooking but it was
>> usually quick and hot. The only fuel I had was C-4, but if I rationed it
>> well I could get a water buffalo steak seared.
>>

> When I was in the US Army, I was stationed in Panama. We had a nice adjustable
> grill at a private beach. The guys that said they could BBQ would make these
> roaring fires, burn the meat (steaks, chicken, ribs, etc) and leave it raw on
> the inside. Really crappy food.

(snip a little)

Personal taste is a basic human right. We all like what we like. What
you said (as it relates to steak) is exactly what I love. A good hot
fire, a quick sear, a certain amount of char around the edges and very
rare in the middle. Flavor up with favorite spices, and eat the moo.
Ummmm, yummeee. IMHO, a Rib eye that doesn't bleed is a ruined piece of
meat. My experience in Nam was that if you were able to make water
buffalo edible, you did a damn good job. d>

Private beach? (looks at ground and shakes head) I was at a private
beach for awhile. I think they called it 29 palms. (;@)

--
Dave T.