Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mark Filice Mark Filice is offline

Default When did you start?

In article >, Dave T. says...

>As a youngster in the USMC I continued the outdoor cooking but it was
>usually quick and hot. The only fuel I had was C-4, but if I rationed it
>well I could get a water buffalo steak seared.

When I was in the US Army, I was stationed in Panama. We had a nice adjustable
grill at a private beach. The guys that said they could BBQ would make these
roaring fires, burn the meat (steaks, chicken, ribs, etc) and leave it raw on
the inside. Really crappy food.

I finally got PO'd enough and took over the grilling. They kept telling me not
to let the flames burn down to coals. I ignored them. I started putting meat on
their plates that was actually edible. It wasn't burnt on the outside, and I had
varying degrees of doneness for the beef.

Then whenever anyone wanted to go to the beach for a BBQ, I got invited to cook.
I didn't have to buy anything, and the beer was free. 8^) A few of the guys
would ask me questions about grilling, but most remained oblivious.

The VPs at my company like to take charge of the grill at the company picnic.
They don't know what they are doing, either. There is a co-worker of mine that
really knows BBQ, and he and I just shake our heads at the crap they serve while
cheering the flames.

My co-worker and I just let them do their thing.

Mark