Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default When did you start?

Nonnymus wrote:

> I'd light Kingsford in a home made chimney using the KC Star or Times, and cook our hamburgers
> right outside the kitchen window. There never were any complaints, but
> then I would have been the one called to "go see what was the matter,"
> anyway. <grin>

LOL. You were using a chimney starter in the 60's? I never heard of
them, nor saw any in the outdoors section of stores. It was AFB, where
I learned about them, lump instead of Kingsford and lots of other things.

It took me all of a few months to start using hardwood briquettes and a
chimney starter, once I learned about them. A year or 2 to purchase a
smoker. Five or six years to purchase a cadillac bullet style smoker.
Another few years to go before I spring for kamado style cooker.

> It was during the 60's and we were just kids, but we sure thought we
> were eating pretty high on the hog back then when we could grill
> hamburgers, hot dogs or pork chops outside.

I am on the lower end of the hog today. I will be having chili dogs,
using Ballpark Franks for the dog. I normally use a natural casing beef
dog, but at $1.00 for a pack of 8, is hard to pass up!!!

BBQ