Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain Mike Romain is offline

Default A Good Sourdough Day - Take 4 1/2

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...
>
>> Might I ask what the ingredients are and how much kneading if any it got?

> I may have mentioned previously
> http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ctions_Rev.doc
> During these cold months, when part of the rise is overnight at setback
> temperature, the rises are longer than shown.

So I decided to go for those instructions to the point of hand mixing
and kneading instead of a mixer.

My first attempt was going OK until I got impatient and well, I
pasteurized the sucker. :-(

So when I figured out I had white soup instead of dough last night, I
just whipped up some conventional yeast Apple Cinnamon buns and a
'butter top' loaf to have ready for when my wife got off work at
midnight. They turned out nice. 3 photos he
http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

I am now in hour 16 of a remake of Dick's instructions and so far they
have worked out as advertised. I am getting a nice 3X grow at the rate
estimated by Dick.

I did find the last mix didn't take all of the called for 6 cups of
flour, but it kneaded up really nice so I didn't want to force the last
1/2 cup in. I hope it will hold the rise, I will see. I stirred it wet
until the spoon wouldn't cut through it anymore, then hand finished it.
That was a bit of a workout, but hey I can use it.

I can see the theory behind the feeding amounts so the critters don't
run out of food and long timing and hope it works for me and my homemade
starter.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com