Posted to rec.food.cooking
Robert Klute[_2_] Robert Klute[_2_] is offline

Default Baker's sugar

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:29:03 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

>"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:53:22 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>Do you mean confectioner's sugar? I have never seen "baker's sugar."

>> confectioners sugar == powdered sugar == icing sugar
>>
>> baker's sugar == superfine sugar == berry sugar == bar sugar
>>
>> superfine granules are about 1/2 the volume of "regular" or sugar

>Don't you mean double? The granules being smaller would pack tighter
>eliminating air spaces meaning the weight by volume would be higher.

The actually isn't that much difference in the weight per volume. The
size of the individual superfine granules are about .35mm on a side
compared to .5mm for regular or fine granule. Which, oops, means that
it has 1/2 the surface area and only 1/3 the volume.

As a side note, I have seen web sites that state that bakers sugar is in
between superfine and 'regular' sugar in terms of granule size.
However these same sites are all over the place as to the granule size
of Fruit sugar, superfine, and ultrafine. So, until I find a site that
states the granule size, I am holding to my definition.