Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Marmalade; why so much water ?

On Tue 25 Mar 2008 06:30:47p, Kathi Jones told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Tue 25 Mar 2008 02:44:37p, Kathi Jones told us...
>>

>>> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>>> . net...

>>> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
>>> marmalade, IMO

>> You can make a wonderful pie, like a lemon meringue pie, with Seville
>> or sour oranges.
>>

> really? I never would have thought of that. But I suppose if you can
> do it with lemons, why not the Sevilles. Then again, I like the taste
> and flavour of a lemon, but not really the Seville (until it's
> marmalade). I might just try it next time I can get my hands on some.
> They are seasonal in stores here - only available in February.
>
> I ate a fresh Cara Cara orange today. Very disappointing - hard to peel
> and not juicy at all. But it had potential - flavour is like a cross
> between sweet orange and pink grapefruit. Maybe it just wasn't as fresh
> at I thought it should be....
>
> Kathi

Living in Arizona, we have Seville/sour oranges available year 'round,
usually free for the picking. Some folks leave bags full of them at their
curb for anyone who wants them, as they are grown here primarily as
ornamental trees. I could probably make a living producing marmalade for
the cost of the sugar. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)