Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones Kathi Jones is offline

Default Marmalade; why so much water ?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Tue 25 Mar 2008 02:44:37p, Kathi Jones told us...
>

>> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>> ... (clipped)>

>>> One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
>>> meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH. Seville oranges are
>>> pretty sour, no? One website I ran across mentioned that they thought
>>> jams,etc., set best at about 3.2pH. Limes are generally about 0, and
>>> lemons about 1-2.
>>> That said, very ripe fruits will probably be higher in pH. And of
>>> course
>>> with so many hybrids, there is no real average anymore.
>>> My 2c worth.
>>> Edrena
>>>

>> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
>> marmalade, IMO

> You can make a wonderful pie, like a lemon meringue pie, with Seville or
> sour oranges.

really? I never would have thought of that. But I suppose if you can do it
with lemons, why not the Sevilles. Then again, I like the taste and flavour
of a lemon, but not really the Seville (until it's marmalade). I might just
try it next time I can get my hands on some. They are seasonal in stores
here - only available in February.

I ate a fresh Cara Cara orange today. Very disappointing - hard to peel and
not juicy at all. But it had potential - flavour is like a cross between
sweet orange and pink grapefruit. Maybe it just wasn't as fresh at I
thought it should be....

Kathi