Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Buxqi Buxqi is offline

Default A question for vegans about meat

On 20 Mar, 23:25, Rupert > wrote:
> On Mar 21, 7:57 am, dh@. wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:56:27 -0700 (PDT), Rupert > wrote:
> > >Thank you for sharing your thoughts about how to proceed. I might
> > >include a discussion of R. M. Hare's views, in particular his essay
> > >"Why I am Only a Demi-Vegetarian". That might do something by way of
> > >addressing your points.

> > * * You could consider the lives of everything. You could compare
> > the lives of broiler chickens of 6-8 weeks, with those of any wild
> > birds who live for that period of time or less. You could do the same
> > with battery hens and cage-free egg producers. If you do it open
> > mindedly I don't see how you could come to the conclusion that
> > no livestock animals' lives are or could be worth living, especially
> > comparing them with equivalent length lives of wildlife.

> > >Your question about whether speciesism can be
> > >"justified" in nonhuman animals strikes me as ill-posed.

> > * * Saying that only humans need worry about the "rights" of
> > other creatures and whether or not we are speciesist, seems
> > very speciesist to me. Even in trying to avoid it you still end up
> > doing it anyway.

> > >There will
> > >probably be some discussion of this point in the project as well.

> > * * Will you include that fact that if we didn't remain speciesist
> > we would eventually be overtaken by animals who are, or
> > haven't you thought it through to the point of accepting that
> > fact?

> > >I do not currently have any preconceptions about what conclusion I
> > >will arrive at.

> > * * My guess is that you want to support the elimination
> > objective.

> > >It is probably best to let me finish my thesis and write up the first
> > >chapter before we discuss the matter further.

> > * * That would depend on how open minded you want to be.
> > If you just want to support the elimination objective then you're
> > probably ready to go, but if you're actually going to consider
> > any alternatives to be ethically equivalent or superior then I
> > get the feeling you haven't even begun the first inch of real
> > thought in that direction so you should discuss it with people
> > who have a good bit before you attempt writing about it. Do
> > AW minded people write anything, or is it only elimination
> > minded people? Come to think of it, there is tons of propaganda
> > to support elimination, but damn little to support decent lives.

> We've already mentioned R. M. Hare. There's also Carl Cohen. When I
> have written the first chapter I will specify which writers and
> arguments I'm going to examine and you can give me feedback on how
> open-minded you feel I am being.

In my experience when people say things like
"you are so closed minded" what they really mean
is "Why can't you accept that I am right". I'm sure
your essay will be well thought out, addressing most
of the important points and provide a good discussion point.