Posted to alt.food.wine
Steve Slatcher Steve Slatcher is offline

Default Can Sparkling Wine From The U.S. Be Called Champagne?

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:23:07 +0100, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>The name Zinfandel may be a synonym of Primitivo - and officially
>recognized by USA and EU - but its usage is definitely tied to a place,
>to the rich history and culture of wine in America. As an Italian I
>would never buy a wine from Puglia labelled Zinfandel.

They are now recognised as the same variety (as are Pinot Noir, Gris
and Blanc), but they are unlikely to be the same clones of that
variety, and may be totally different clonally. Irrespective of the
legalities, I'd prefer it if the Italians stuck to the name Primitivo.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher