Peggy

Default Thanksgiving Menu

Bob wrote:

>>apple/squash/leek gratin with breadcrumb and pepper-cheese topping

> How did this turn out? I'm assuming you used some kind of winter squash,
> but I can't quite get a handle on it. I'd think the texture of the squash
> wouldn't be quite right with the texture of the leeks. Were the leeks
> pre-cooked so that they kind of melted? (If I make this, I'll probably use
> parsnips instead of squash.)

We used butternut squash and parboiled it so it would soften
appropriately. The leeks were, indeed, sauteed into submission! Parsnips
sound like a wonderful substitution for the squash.

>>cranberry/red-onion compote (try finding a fresh cranberry around here
>>in October -- hadda use canned)

> Got plenty of fresh cranberries here. Is the compote simply sliced red
> onions, cranberries, and sugar cooked together? Did you add any spices?
> (I'm thinking that cloves and black pepper would go well.)

Actually, the onions were first pickled and softened in a glug of red
wine vinegar and some olive oil. The recipe called for slicing them
into rings, but the rings made the finished product hard to handle.
Next time I'll dice the red onions. Black pepper sounds great with this.
The recipe called for those chiles in adobo sauce you can buy in cans
(can't remember what they're called — advancing middle age: first the
nouns go, then the verbs) to add a little spice. I'm not too fond of
cloves, but they might go well with this. Sugar was called for, but
since I used canned whole cranberry sauce, I figured there was already
enough sugar.

>>home-made pear chutney

> What variety of pears?

What ever came off the neighbors' trees! I'm not fussy when fruit's free!

>>cornmeal/pumpkin cake with orange sauce

> PLEASE post the recipe for this!

I'll try to remember to bring it in tomorrow. It was in the latest
issue of Fine Cooking, I think.

> Thanks for sharing this great menu!
>
> Bob

Thank you, Bob. Good grief, I love to cook (and eat)! And this time
around I was fortunate to have an extra pair of hands -- a friend who,
in his last life, cooked for a living. A blessing.

Cheers!

Peg