Posted to alt.food.wine
PK PK is offline

Default Can Sparkling Wine From The U.S. Be Called Champagne?

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> Cooks and Andre are Charmat (tank) process wines and indicate that on the
> label but Korbel is fermented in the bottle and is not bad at all, IMHO.
> It is a pity that no-one will risk a public blind tasting like the
> "Judgment of Paris." The next best thing was Consumer Reports tasting of
> California products where the wines produced by French-owned companies
> came out at the top.

some time ago (sorry I have not got a reference, but my source was a senior
WSET tutor) a "champagne" tasting in Paris was carried out in two stages:

1. all wines blind - a particular wine came top

2. all wines "open" - the same wine came bottom

the wine in question:

Nyetimber, produced in West Sussex, England
http://www.nyetimber.com/

more info on Nyetimber:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...28/nwine28.xml
http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tasting...lingwine.shtml