Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.current-events.bird-flu
Dave J. Dave J. is offline

Default Eat less meat

In MsgID<eUKBj.74184$w94.59582@pd7urf2no> on Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:39:06
GMT, in uk.current-events.bird-flu, 'Dutch' wrote:

>"( _ /)" > wrote
>> Eat less meat
>>

>How about just eat less, consume less, PERIOD? Why pick on meat? You
>wouldn't have an ummm hidden agenda, would you?

Meat is (I believe) an inefficient use of resources in the production of
food. It also has a vast (and compared to decaying plant matter
unavoidable) amount of methane as a byproduct.

I speak BTW as a lifelong carnivore. The nearest I come to vegetarianism
is a vague effort to keep my meat consumption down to what I consider to
be the optimum minimal level that (again as I consider it) gives the
maximum yield in terms of bodily benefits.

However from the facts I've read, you can't argue with the veggies for
saying that there's a hugely greater nutritional value from a given amount
of land if it's used for the right arable crops, intended for direct
consumption, than if it's used to support animals for us to eat.

What I want to see in the future is meat that's grown in tanks, with no
brain attached, and the nutrients directly supplied rather than being
inefficiently converted from foodstock. I imagine that route would knock
spots off the 'efficiency' argument against meat, it would also shut down
the 'cruel to bring about life just because you wanna eat it' argument.

Dave J.

--
Freeware Open Source Internet Television / Video RSS player. Fetches Video
RSS feeds or retrieves from regular searches on Youtube or Google video.