Posted to alt.food.wine
enoavidh[_1_] enoavidh[_1_] is offline

Default Can Sparkling Wine From The U.S. Be Called Champagne?

DaleW > wrote in news:478a7712-b981-486f-a3a3-e67a79ebacb0
@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 18, 12:19�pm, "Raymond" > wrote:
>> I'd come across several of them.
>> Example:
>> 1) Andre Pink Champagne California
>> 2) Cook's Brut Champagne
>> 3) Korbel Brut
>> 4) Piper Sonoma Brut
>> What's the latest wine law or agreement?
>> Thanks
>> Ray

> I believe the ATF's successor (can't remember their designation)
> allows grandfathered use of "semi-generic" terms such as Champagne,
> Chablis, Chianti, etc domestically. They are not supposed to be
> exported, and I believe a load of Andre was dramatically destroyed in
> the EU last year.
>
> Does Piper Sonoma really say Champagne? I'd be very surprised. I
> thought the only holdouts were industrial crap like Korbel, Cooks,
> Andre.
>
> Brut of course is a non-geographic designation, and I have never heard
> of complaints about that usage.

As far as I can tell, it's still the ATF:
http://www.atf.gov/pub/alctob_pub/be...l/chapter5.pdf

Regarding the term CHAMPAGNE, it is in the SPARKLING WINE class, defined as
- Wine containing more than 0.392 grams per 100 ml carbon dioxide
resulting solely from secondary fermentation in a closed container
- "Sparkling Wine" is sparkling grape wine. Sparkling citrus,
fruit and agricultural wines must be further identified, e.g., "Sparkling
Peach Wine";

the Type being CHAMPAGNE, defined thus:
- "Grape wine refermented in glass containers of one gallon or less
capacity"
(I reckon they capitalize to avoid the Champagne/champagne disagreement)

And the Class CHAMPAGNE is footnoted as
- "Sufficient as class and type designation. Also, classified as a
SEMI-GENERIC name. (For information on semi-generic names, see 27 CFR
4.24.)
- A semi-generic named wine not from the origin indicated by the name,
e.g., "Champagne" not from France, must also be labeled with an appellation
of origin. (For appellation of origin requirements see 27 CFR 4.25a)"

I note that the Class ASTI SPUMANTE must be "made in Italy" so there are
some regional distinctions, and the Class IMITATION WINE gives me *the
fear*! O_o

d.

Oh, and Piper Sonoma's label says "Méthode Champenoise"; it looks like
*most* of the Champagne houses with California branches label their wines
as "California Sparkling Wine".

--
I didn't write it, but you can find the alt.food.wine FAQ he
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/