Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Can Sparkling Wine From The U.S. Be Called Champagne?

On Mar 18, 12:19�pm, "Raymond" > wrote:
> I'd come across several of them.
> Example:
> 1) Andre Pink Champagne California
> 2) Cook's Brut Champagne
> 3) Korbel Brut
> 4) Piper Sonoma Brut
> What's the latest wine law or agreement?
> Thanks
> Ray

I believe the ATF's successor (can't remember their designation)
allows grandfathered use of "semi-generic" terms such as Champagne,
Chablis, Chianti, etc domestically. They are not supposed to be
exported, and I believe a load of Andre was dramatically destroyed in
the EU last year.

Does Piper Sonoma really say Champagne? I'd be very surprised. I
thought the only holdouts were industrial crap like Korbel, Cooks,
Andre.

Brut of course is a non-geographic designation, and I have never heard
of complaints about that usage.