Bob

Default Thanksgiving Menu

Peggy wrote:

> Just did a Thanksgiving-esque dinner (a run-through?) for sixteen
> "farmworkers," friends who picked apples and helped us bring home 175
> gallons of cider from the local cider mill -- 100 gallons of it is
> happily burbling into hard cider in 55-gallon drums on our kitchen
> floor. Here's the meal:

WOW! This meal looks INCREDIBLE. I'm definitely going to attempt some of
those items this year. I've got a clue as to how to prepare most of them,
but I do have some questions:

> apple/squash/leek gratin with breadcrumb and pepper-cheese topping

How did this turn out? I'm assuming you used some kind of winter squash,
but I can't quite get a handle on it. I'd think the texture of the squash
wouldn't be quite right with the texture of the leeks. Were the leeks
pre-cooked so that they kind of melted? (If I make this, I'll probably use
parsnips instead of squash.)

> cranberry/red-onion compote (try finding a fresh cranberry around here
> in October -- hadda use canned)

Got plenty of fresh cranberries here. Is the compote simply sliced red
onions, cranberries, and sugar cooked together? Did you add any spices?
(I'm thinking that cloves and black pepper would go well.)

> home-made pear chutney

What variety of pears?

> cornmeal/pumpkin cake with orange sauce

PLEASE post the recipe for this!